Can we stop the mind / nervous system from causing the pain in walking?

• Can we stop the mind / nervous system from causing the pain in walking?

• Marianne Sharpe

February 23, 2021 at 9:59 pm

I really loved the course. My question though, if you know your going to feel pain in last part of your walk, can we find out why, meaning can we use the info to stop the mind and nervous system from causing the pain/flare up with practise and be able to walk the 4 miles without pain when we get back? Can we in away trick the systems to work together better if we know the reason why?

• Chris Newton

Lead Mentor
    February 23, 2021 at 10:01 pm

The short answer is yes. But, as always, it is never quite so simple.

Neuroscience calls this problem a Neurotag. A Neurotag is the same phenomena as remembering a feeling or past event from a smell or a piece of music. In other words, one random thing is linked to another otherwise unrelated thing. The likelihood for my walker example is that the brain (unconscious) triggers “danger” messages because she knows she’s going home to where she regularly suffers a lot of pain. So the brain predicts suffering is coming and therefore sensitises. That’s how easy it is to trigger a Neurotag. The good news is that once you know you have a Neurotag that is triggering off, it’ll begin to break down because your mind will realise its mistake. So over time you can absolutely retrain a Neurotag.

I’ll be creating a course shortly about this phenomena to go into more detail, which should help people look for this problem and learn to deal with it. 😀

• This reply was modified 5 days, 11 hours ago by  Chris Newton.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now